(a) A managing agent of a common interest development who accepts or receives funds belonging to the association shall deposit those funds that are not placed into an escrow account with a bank, savings association, or credit union or into an account under the control of the association, into a trust fund account maintained by the managing agent in a bank, savings association, or credit union in this state. All funds deposited by the managing agent in the trust fund account shall be kept in this state in a financial institution, as defined in Section 31041 of the Financial Code, which is insured by the federal government, or is a guaranty corporation subject to Section 14858 of the Financial Code, and shall be maintained there until disbursed in accordance with written instructions from the association entitled to the funds.
(b) At the written request of the board, the funds the managing agent accepts or receives on behalf of the association shall be deposited into an account in a bank, savings association, or credit union in this state that is insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, National Credit Union Administration Insurance Fund, or a guaranty corporation subject to Section 14858 of the Financial Code, provided all of the following requirements are met:
(1) The account is in the name of the managing agent as trustee for the association or in the name of the association.
(2) All of the funds in the account are covered by insurance provided by an agency of the federal government or a guaranty corporation subject to Section 14858 of the Financial Code. Those funds may only be deposited in accounts that protect the principal. In no event may those funds be invested in stocks or high-risk investment options.
(3) The funds in the account are kept separate, distinct, and apart from the funds belonging to the managing agent or to any other person for whom the managing agent holds funds in trust.
(4) The managing agent discloses to the board the nature of the account, how interest will be calculated and paid, whether service charges will be paid to the depository and by whom, and any notice requirements or penalties for withdrawal of funds from the account.
(5) No interest earned on funds in the account shall inure directly or indirectly to the benefit of the managing agent or the managing agent’s employees.
(6) Transfers of funds out of the association’s reserve or operating accounts shall not be authorized without prior written approval from the board of the association unless the amount of the transfer is less than the following:
(A) The lesser of five thousand dollars ($5,000) or 5 percent of the estimated income in the annual operating budget, for associations with 50 or less separate interests.
(B) The lesser of ten thousand dollars ($10,000) or 5 percent of estimated income in the annual operating budget, for associations with 51 or more separate interests.
(c) The managing agent shall maintain a separate record of the receipt and disposition of all funds described in this section, including any interest earned on the funds.
(d) The managing agent shall not commingle the funds of the association with the managing agent’s own money or with the money of others that the managing agent receives or accepts.
(e) The prevailing party in an action to enforce this section shall be entitled to recover reasonable legal fees and court costs.
(f) As used in this section, “completed payment” means funds received that clearly identify the account to which the funds are to be credited.
(Amended by Stats. 2021, Ch. 270, Sec. 1. (AB 1101) Effective January 1, 2022.)